Coming Out Resource Links
(Some of these are from the USA and will be marked so, also these links are for everyone but there has been some bias toward women coming out it seems harder to find these than gay men coming out information.):
- EGALE Resources - http://egale.ca/programs/
- OUTSHINE - http://egale.ca/portfolio/outshine_2017/# International LGBTQI@S Youth and Ally Summit.
- International Coming out Day (USA site) - http://www.hrc.org/resources/national-coming-out-day/
- It Gets Better Project (YouTube) - http://www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterprojectDan
- Coming Out Stories - http://www.overtherainbowshop.com/stories.htm
- Tips on Coming Out
General Tips for Coming-out
You may be very nervous about telling family members that you are gay, but here are a few strategies that can help you decide what to say and when to say it:
1) Don’t be rushed, timing is important. Try to pick a quiet time of the day that will allow everyone who is involved to focus on the discussion and any questions that follow.
2) Tell them there is something you feel they ought to know. This says that you are making a deliberate effort to share important news.
3) Keep your opening statements brief. If you want to start with, “For a long time, I have felt…” or any other lead-in, keep it to two sentences - or less! The anticipation may be worse than actually hearing the news.
4) Be clear and direct. Say the words, “Mom and Dad, I am gay.” If you are telling young children, read the section on “Coming-out to your Dependant Children”.
5) If they react poorly tell them you understand that this information is difficult to hear.
6) Explain that it has taken you a lot of time to understand it yourself, so you realize that it will take them some time too.
7) Try to answer their questions, but tell them you may not have all the answers. If the exchange goes poorly, don’t fret. It doesn’t mean they will never accept you. They may just need time to absorb the news and think about what it means to your relationship.
- Rick Mercer's Call for a Massive Coming Out - http://www.blogmensgo.com/2011/11/03/the-comedian-rick-mercer-calls-for-a-massive-coming-out-in-canada/
- Rainbow Centre Resources page - http://www.rainbowresourcecentre.org/resources/
- Canadian Immigration for same sex partners - http://www.legit.ca/resources.html
- McGinn to be first out lesbian in BC legislature - http://www.dailyxtra.com/search/site/McGinn
- After Ellen - http://www.afterellen.com/tags/canada